Hereâ€™s how it works.
- 1 on 1 in-person lessons while I am on tour in YOUR cityÂ Â areÂ 50 $Â or 50 euÂ for 30 minutes.
- the lessons are suitable for ALL LEVELS
- the lessons are based on the students individual needs
- students can choose the topic or topics in which they are interested
- all the lessons are â€œno-nonsenseâ€ â€œstraight to the pointâ€ in plain English suitable for all ages/skill levels
- I in fact do play guitar professionally , make albums , and tour the world â€“ and I can help you learn the skills and mindsetÂ it takes to do exactly the same.
That goes beyond merely shredding up the guitar. It also takes songwriting /arranging skills, business sense, marketing /networking savvy, and an lots of old fashioned hard work, sacrifice and perseverance.
Let me help you conquer the world!
Here are some typicalÂ topics of the on tour lessons
- Extreme Guitar techniques – Devastating rhythms and blazing leads
- Improvisation and understanding of Scales and modes over various chord progressions and styles
- How to construct guitar parts and build leads
- Guitar Technique development (Alternate Picking, Sweep picking, Tapping)
- Arpeggios andÂ chords and their use in songs and improvisation
- Helpful, Useful, no-nonsense Explanation of Theory, harmony, rhythm , song writing and Music Production
- the best method of torturing , killing , and disposing of your bass player
- yes , I will show people “How do you actually play such and such Nile song” if I can remember myself how it goes………. Nile has a seriously large catalogue of songs but I donâ€™t tab out other bands songs. I donâ€™t have enough time in the day for that sort of thing. There are lots of other teachers who do have the time and are willing.
- yes, I do answer music biz type questions, and anything else related to your career development. I have gained an incredible amount of hard-earned experience in that area, professional career stuff that just isn’t taught (or known) by people who haven’t actually done i . Itâ€™s a topic that does in fact crop up quite a lot when I give lessons.
Hereâ€™s a list of the gear you need for the on tour lessons:
- Your guitar
- A Pencil ,Â Blank Tab Paper
Lessons on tour by inherent necessity have the additionalÂ logistical considerations:
- on tourÂ lessons are also setup in advance with pay pal via the same email@example.com,
- lessons on tour in the US are paid in advance, lesson on tour abroad are cash at the time of lesson .
- the pay pal payment is what guarantees your time slot- which means that particular timeslotÂ is UNAVAILABLE for some one else I have found that people who pay in advance GENERALLY show up on time for their lesson . I have to do it that way – because my days on tour are very tightly scheduled. Lessons abroad, by contrast, are not guaranteed time slots. See below for details.
- The cities/datesÂ available correspond exactly with the Nile tour schedule,Â always available at http://www.KarlSanders.net and http://www.nile-catacombs.net
- Lessons on tour may be in wildly varying locales â€“ every venue is different . One day I might be giving lessons backstage, the next day on the tour bus, some days in the dining hall, I have even given them in the hotel room if need be. Every day on tour is a different set of circumstances, and I will make the judgment as to the most appropriate place at /or near the venue to hopefully have a reasonably sane, un-interrupted lesson. However, please remember that these lessons are in the midst of a tour â€“ on show days.Â My Nile band mates /Nile crew members / other support acts / local crew/promoters/ venue staff / security all have their own important jobs to do as well â€“ and they are doing us a courtesy by allowingÂ us to use whatever space/ time made available for these lessons.
- A guitar lesson on tour is a lesson with me / and that is the sum totality of the lesson arrangement. It does not includ, however tempting it may be; to extend the visit activities into inappropriate unauthorized areas. I do not mind if students stay for soundcheck; however this is NOT an invitation to videotape our soundcheck and post it on youtube. A guitar lesson is also not an invitation to remain unescorted backstage or on our Tour bus. While the student is in the venue during pre-show activities, I am held by the band defacto accountable for the students behavior. Please donâ€™t do anything that would make my tour mates regret allowing me to give lessons while on tour. Thank you for your understanding and cooperationÂ .
- If the tour date is anywhere overseas , ergo, there was an airplane flight involved at some point to make the journey = then because of baggage restrictions, I will NOT have with me the usual stuff I would bring on tour in the US. Keeping my over weight baggage fees ( already a fortune just to get our band gear on the flight )Â to a reasonable minimumÂ means I wont be bringing vast supplies of lesson books, student tabs, blank student tab paperÂ or blank chord diagrams, etc etc etc.Â I am not bringing my dry erase board, my PC with Guitar Tab Pro , my printer for printing out tabs, my awesome monitors or ANYTHING . Its me, my guitar,Â and hopefully my little backstage practice amp .Â So , I would suggest bringing a pencil and some tab paper . And a guitar .But please donâ€™t bring anything more â€“Â I doubt you will need your amp , andÂ itâ€™s a pain in the ass to carry around at a metal show.
- very important â€“ In the US , the bus companies we use work directly for Nile , thus it is fairly dependable that the band will arrive when we are scheduled to. And that makes it possible to have a reasonably dependable , consistent lesson schedule (remember, this is a Metal Tour we are talking about so the phrase â€œreasonably dependableâ€Â is often subject to unforeseen acts-of-god intervention) However, in Europe, and elsewhere abroad, the bus companies ( or the airlines ) that transport the band are not employed directly by the band . Therefore, I do not take advanceÂ paypal,Â because I cannot reasonably guarantee what time I will arrive on any given day. Lessons must be, by necessity ,Â cash at the time of the lesson. The arrangement process is still the same;Â we will arrange the date and time via firstname.lastname@example.org , but the exact time I may have available in my day may be subject to a degree of variabilityÂ on some daysÂ -Â particularly in winter time with the possibility of weather â€“related bad road conditions . If on some day for some random-bizarre-beyond-human-control circumstance the tour bus doesnâ€™t show up till extremely late,Â it is conceivable I might not be able to give lessons that day.
OKÂ Â if you understand all that and getting a killer guitar lesson on the day of the Nile show is something you are interested in – I would love to meet you and help you in any way I can to improveÂ your guitar playing/musicianship.
I have been doing lessons on tour for a couple of years now, and it usually always is a blast.
Let me help you Conquer the World!
If you want to discuss lessons or you have further questions or would like to book a lesson,
please contact me at email@example.com
Let me help you become the best guitarist you can be!